Confess

 
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord
 and believe in your heart that
God has raised Him from the dead,
you will be saved.
 
 
1. to acknowledge or avow (a fault, crime, misdeed, weakness, etc.) by way of revelation.
2. to own or admit as true: I must confess that I haven't read the book.
3. to declare or acknowledge (one's sins), especially to God or a priest in order to obtain absolution.
4. (of a priest) to hear the confession of (a person).
5. to acknowledge one's belief or faith in; declare adherence to.
6. to reveal by circumstances.
 
The opposite of confess is to conceal.
 
(Conceal don't feel, don't let them know, but now they know. Let it go! Let it go!)
 
Now I could go the rest of my life concealing my past, but why would I want to do that? I don't live there anymore. But God has done amazing things with my story.
 
Depending on what religion you follow you might have a different view of confession. For some of us it is a religious duty that must be endured. For others it may be a fresh start to a new day. Or a before bed head clearing, heart mending session with God.
 
Some might say, "God already knows I did it, why should I tell Him anyways?"
 
Let's think about that. Have you ever had a weight or a burden on your heart that just pushed you down, that consumed your thoughts, made you feel guilty, or constantly reminded you of a failure?
 
Unconfessed sin is like that. It's like a cancer hidden in your bones. You know that you feel pain but you have no idea what is causing it.
 
For my life is spent with grief,
And my years with sighing;
My strength fails because of my iniquity (sin),
And my bones waste away.
 
 
Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.”
And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
 
Acknowledging failure is not an easy thing to do. Please stop thinking of the "shall nots" that you were taught in Sunday School. Confession does not lead to perfection. Confession leads to forgiveness. Forgiveness leads to peace.
 
Maybe you are still on the fence and don't feel like you need forgiveness. I used to feel like way, too. I lived a "Do whatcha like" kind of life. A free-for-all. But I had no peace. Tomorrow I will tell you about conviction. Which is an amazing nudge from God that says, "Hey there girl. Something's not right here."
 
Confess: Do you have anything you have been trying to hide from God? Do you need to ask someone to forgive you? Are you ready to surrender to God?
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts