Conceit


This is it. It's time to get real. What I am writing applies to me just as well as it might to you. My prayer is that you will join me on this 31 day journey from conceit to complete and turn your focus from yourself and the here and now back to Jesus and the light of eternity. Because that is what really matters if you look at the Big Picture. What we focus on and believe today effects us for all of Eternity.

 
conceit  noun
a strong, exaggerated opinion of one's self. narcissim. vanity.
Self. Selfish. Selfie. We have become a society of attention seekers. This one girl I know takes a picture of herself every.single.morning and posts it on Facebook. No one hits "like" anymore. 
 
When we turn our attention inward we no longer look upward.
 
C.S. Lewis said “The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.” Source: “Collected Works of C. S. Lewis” (1994)
 
THIS is your NOW. Those little interruptions are your children. Little messes. Annoying calls from your mother. No grocery money. Windows need washing. Can't find your keys. "Why can't I...?"
 
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourself." Philippians 2:3
 
STOP DREAMING ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE AND ACCEPT EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.

The fact is, it's not all about you. I want you to have self esteem. Don't get me wrong. I just don't want you to be so inwardly focused that you lose sight of God's plan for you.
 
Maybe God is telling you to put down the phone and read a book to your son who is constantly pestering you because he just needs his mommy. Maybe you can't find your keys because you need to quit looking at picture perfect homes on Pinterest (aka covet.com) and clean up your own mess.
 
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26
 
Ouch. This hurts, I know. But go ahead and pull off that Band-aid and scream, girl! Because it is time to put those big girl panties on and get real. This is your life. But it doesn't just involve you.
 
If I hear one more person tell me they are too busy I am the one who will be screaming! If I asked you to track what you do every second of the day that you are awake you would be amazed at the time you wasted. We all have work to do, dishes to wash, butts to wipe, meals to cook. But what about friends to uplift, husbands to love, smiles to make?
 
"Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate
 with people of low position. Do not be conceited." Romans 12:16
 
Do you see where I am going with this? Take the focus off of YOU and look at your reality and start really living. It won't happen in one day. But I do know this, at the end of this 31 day journey you will be complete.
 
And that, sister, is so worth striving for.
 
Checkpoint:
How many times a day do you check something you posted or tweeted to see how many likes you have received?

So, how about you? Are you joining in for 31 Days from Conceit to Complete? I would love to hear about you! Introduce yourself in the comments.
 
This series is part of the #write31days challenge! See more 31 Days series here.
 




Comments

Popular Posts