Au contraire mes amis

Last night I went to see the movie War Room with a whole bunch of my girlie friends. We laughed and talked and threw popcorn at each other and made little comments to the characters on the screen. I didn't cry but they all did. I wore sweatpants and Thee Farmer's hoodie. Many of them were still in work attire or had dressed up.

One of my friends - who wishes to remain anonymous - said she wished she was "brave enough" to go to the movie in her comfy clothes. Ahem

Girl. I went to a movie to get away from my family for two whole amazing hours. To get lost in a story and eat popcorn and licorice and milk duds and drink a whole pop all by myself without backwash in it. I wanted to sit in that uncomfortable chair as comfortably as I could. And boy did I.


Nobody cares if you show up to a movie on a Tuesday evening at 7 o'clock in your comfy pants. If they do, they're not not your friends anyways.

Become comfortable with who you are. Now, obviously there is a time and a place for dressing nicely. And if you feel more comfortable in regular clothes than be true to you.But please do not go through life being contrary to who God created you to be. 

For me, come as you are has always been my style. Because God wants me to be approachable to the uncomfortable people. You know, those girls who show up to church in their pajama pants who are desperate for Grace. The tattooed and scarred from self inflicted wounds. The ones with piercings and wildly colored hair. Those are the people who God called me to minister to. I couldn't do that if I wore a pant suit, it wouldn't be me, and I wouldn't be accessible to them.

Be confident in this, you are who you are. Wearing tight pants when you don't have to or want to is your own self-consciousness. And we are taking the focus off of that old self. 

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body." Ephesians 4:22-25
This means:
  • you get rid of the way you were, hiding behind a facade
  • your mind has been renewed, regenerated and changed
  • you are a whole new you
  • so don't pretend to be what you are not, be true and speak truth to your "neighbor" - that is, the people around you.
Don't misrepresent. Show up. Be you. And love. 


P.S. If you like to dress up then by all means do it! I'm not judging. My point is you shouldn't be afraid to wear comfy pants if that's what you want to do ;) 






Comments

Jackie said…
Thank you for sharing. Being approachable and non-judgmental is so important. We can't judge others, Christ loved those that we most often think about pushing away. The lost have to feel comfortable coming to us, wherever we are. What a great reminder.

Popular Posts