Commit

I made a commitment when I said I would start this 31 day journey with you. Apparently, the story of my conversion yesterday shocked a few people. But I can't leave that out. It is who I was. Not who I am now. God takes the ugly and makes it beautiful. I cannot tell you how many times He has placed hurting women in my path for me to lead to Him. I couldn't do that without going through the things I shared yesterday.
 
Now for today's word.
 
The word "commit" is mentioned over 100 in times in the Old Testament. Mostly preceded by "Thou shalt not."

Jesus said, "You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’”
Luke 18:20 NIV

But Jesus did not come to tell you "Thou shalt not." He simply says,

"“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 NIV

He will give you rest. You don't have to follow 10,000 rules. There's nothing you have to sign in blood. The debt has already been paid. His blood spilled. You can be free.
 
"The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,”
 “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be,
are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Romans 13:9
 
That's all Jesus wants for you to do after you commit to following Him. When we love others more than we love ourselves we won't want to commit adultery, murder and all those other "shall nots".
 
 
What does that look like?
 
I've learned that you can't keep God in some case labeled "Break glass in case of emergency". A prayer is not some Jedi mind-trick where you wave your palm in front of something and say, "These are not the droids you are looking for."
 
In Proverbs we are told to commit all of our ways to Him and He will make our path straight.
 
Walk it out with me.
 
God, I commit my anger to you.
God, I don't want to be jealous anymore.
God, through you I have peace.
Jesus, you paid the price, I believe and I am forgiven.
 
Take another step.
 
God, I want a new life.
Jesus, I need your help.
God, show me where to turn.
 
Don't look down. You will stumble. Look up. His arms are outstretched and waiting for you Precious Daughter of The King.
 
Commit: if you don't have a Bible, where might you find one?  www.biblegateway.com is an awesome source. All you have to do is type in a phrase and it can find verses for you. For example, type in "forgiveness." For now, use the NIV version. Or, you can read a chapter of Proverbs every day for the next 31 days. You will be amazed how God can speak to you through His Word. It won't be a coincidence - or a Jedi mind trick - when you read just what you need to hear each day!

Comments

Popular Posts