A book review


*NOTE*
I am a B&H/Lifeway Blogger. I was given a complimentary copy of this book to review. 
I was not reimbursed in any matter.
 All opinions are my own.


Urban Legends of the New Testament: 40 Common Misconceptions by David A. Croteau

The nerd in me picked this book to review. 

First of all, I had to keep returning to the preface to be reminded that the title of each chapter was the myth/legend itself, and he writes the opening of each chapter as if he believes it to be true. CONFUSING. If you just picked up this book and started reading and skipped over that tiny paragraph in the preface you would be so lost.

With that in mind, on to my review.

The book contains 40 "Urban Legends". "Paul was a tent maker" and  "Jesus died when he was 33" are two examples. Most of the chapter titles are things you have surely heard over the years in church and accepted to be true.

When we dive in and study the original languages and the context some surprising answers are found, and myths are busted.

My favorite chapter/legend? "We can do anything through Christ who gives us strength." One of the most popular verses in the Bible, Philippians 4:13. Taken out of context, surely you will believe "all" to be "ALL". Does the Bible really mean "all things"?

Check it out and see for yourself.

A good read. A little tedious at times. And yes, there's that little bit of confusion on what is the Legend and what is the Truth. But worth checking out at your local bookstore or library. 

Just promise me not to scream, "Blasphemer!" at your Pastor when he preaches on these!

Keep reading!

Carolyn
Thee Farm Wife

Comments

Popular Posts