What am I good at?

When I asked our kids this question, I got a shocking answer.

"Yelling." 
"Doing our laundry."
"Teaching us the Bible."
"Making snacks."

It didn't matter what the good responses were. It was the first one that stopped me. For over a year, I have been working really hard on not yelling at the kids. To pause. To consider my words. To try and teach them to obey the first time. And I have to admit, although I have made great progress, I still have miles to go.

I am a firm believer that it is never, ever too late to change. Satan will whisper in your ear: "You have already done the damage. You can't change. They will never listen."

LIES.

I am a fan of Google. I look up everything. I used to love encyclopedias as a child. To me, Google is and awesome, huge, unending encyclopedia just waiting for me to dive in.

Last week I googled "help me stop yelling".

And up popped this. What I was desperate for. Someone who had done the homework for me. Someone who has been there. Gentle Biblical responses.

Oh. I had my doubts. Like how would a "normal" parent react to a three-year-old using permanent marker on the computer screen? Me: "Why did you do that?!?! You are so naughty!!!! What the heck were you thinking?" Explosive Reactive.Dud. 

There is this amazing invention called a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. All I had to do was take the marker away. Walk him to the sink. Ask him to get the Magic and clean it up. "We color on paper not computers." Asked for a sorry hug. Problem solved.

I know what to do!

But I need to make a conscious choice to do the right thing. To not scar or scare. To not listen to the voices of the past that tell me I am in charge. I am to be obeyed. I am Thee Boss.

My methods have failed. It's time to do it God's way. 

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. 
The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." 2 Corinthians 5:17

I don't know about you, but it's time to change. Join me?

Have you overcome your anger and learned to respond in a better way? What advice would you give a mom who needs hope? Comment below or email me at kennedy993@yahoo.com.



Comments

You are so brave for being so plain honest! Thank you for showing us moms, that nobody is perfect, and with God there is hope for any situation! Change is possible, even though it takes time, so let's hang in there together! Because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

Popular Posts