Drought

Still no sign of rain...the corn is mostly dead, and the beans are on their way to the grave, too. The Farmer is trying to get all of the information he can on our crop insurance. He is also going to a meeting at the ethanol plant tomorrow to see how they are handling grain deliveries...or lack thereof. Needless to say, these are stressful times!

I collect old copies of Farm Wife magazine and I came across these words of wisdom...

Mom's Advice - Getting Along on the Family Farm
by Helen Howe of Stratford, CA

"Ten Commandments for the Senior Farm Wife" for moms who are welcoming a new daughter-in-law to the family farm

1. Understand the words "Generation Gap".
2. Make sure she has her own home.
3. Stay out of her house.
4. Give her privacy - in all things.
5. Give her freedom - to establish her own place.
6. Always be ready to help - when asked.
7. Never criticize.
8. Keep the communication channels open.
9. Keep your mouth shut.
10. Keep smiling.

Oh, how I want to interject my own experiences throughout these ten ideas...especially since I had the experience of not only living with my brother-in-law and his wife the first five years of my marriage, but also living in my mother-in-laws former home. If we had followed these rules, it would have been a much more loving and peaceful experience - especially since I was the only townie in the house!

If you are reading this, and are new to the farm, take heart. It will get better. Stand your ground. Don't nag your Farmer. And most of all, PRAY!!!

Comments

Popular Posts