Farm safety

Today's lesson is on farm safety. For kids. Adults ought to be smart enough not to do the dumb things they do. Believe me, I've seen the Farm Boys do the dumbest, unsafest things, but that is another tale for another day.

Here on the farm rule number one for all visiting kids and my own is
  • STAY ON THE GREEN GRASS!
Because a farm driveway is deadly.

Rule number two is
  • LOOK BOTH WAYS! and then LOOK AGAIN!
Listen for tractors, ATVs, semis, trucks and cars.

Which brings me to rule number three and the real reason for writing this post
  • NO CHILD SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE AN ATV, RANGER, FOUR-WHEELER
Yesterday, after church, the Farmer and I went to check on one of our driest fields, and there was a kid. In the ditch. Ambulance. Helicopter landing. This should not be. I flashed back to THAT day. The day my nephew rolled our Ranger. Six years old. And it was the most horrific day of my life. Only there is a happy ending to that story. He is alive today. Changed. But alive.

My mission is to prevent any family from ever having to go through what we did THAT day. We can't forget any of the details. We question our judgment. We ask God "WHY?" We see a kid in a ditch thrown from his motorbike. And we want to tell the world that these are not toys. Gravel is no place for a child to drive anything on. Life is too precious. And sometimes, they don't wake up. We were the blessed ones, God brought our nephew back to life. But why tempt fate?

Please, don't allow your kids or visitors to ride anything motorized on your farm! Share the rules. Teach them life lessons. That's why we live how we live. To change the world.

Comments

Popular Posts