Searching for good news

I wake up this Memorial Day full of hope and celebration. I love our great country. 

My job each morning as a news reporter is to gather the news. 

I log on to my PC and the darkness pours over me...vandals spray paint veterans memorial rock...retired police officer kills children, then self...police injured trying to help man who set himself on fire...

All I see is the evil in this world. At least that is what the major media sources want me to see and report. I go back to the websites looking for anything that is positive, uplifting.

A teen walks across the stage to graduate after having suffered a stroke. 

That's it. The only positive story. That and "bow hunting deer considered a success this season".

I haven't been living under a rock. I am fully aware that there has been evil in our world since the beginning of time. 

But what if I had never gone online this morning? The only news I would know is that is currently raining here on Thee Farm. It's Memorial Day. The last Monday in May. The songbirds in my yard are singing praise. My children are all sleeping soundly because summer is here and they can sleep all they want because they are growing. Growing.


What lens will they see the world through someday?


One of hope? or one which the media wants them to use?

I cannot shelter them, and I don't want to. But I will teach them and encourage them to look for the one good news story amongst all of the terrible ones.

And as long as they know Thee Good News, they will have hope. Even on the darkest of days.


Comments

Popular Posts