Finally, someone who understands!

Over coffee this morning, I picked up one of John's farm mags. We get at least 10-20 of them each week. I like to look through them for the latest cattle news, tips on calving, vet stories, crop findings, all that nerdy farmy stuff. Sometimes there are recipes. And one of my fav columns is by Val Farmer. Google him. He's amazing. But I digress, this morning I picked up Iowa Farm and Ranch newspaper. Nothing too interesting until I hit page five. "Babies and barns" and the column was called The Farmer's Wife by Christy Welch. Kindred spirits would best describe how I felt reading her words. Being a farm wife is a unique position in life. Most of my friends would never believe (or probably even care to know) the stories I could tell. And here, in a half page story, is a woman who thinks like me, feels like me, and probably knows what it is like to walk a mile in my muck boots. I sent her an email to thank her for sharing. I'm not alone...it is a very challenging life.

Oh, I know I have it easier than farm wives of old, but it can often be a lonely, self-sacrificing kind of life. The farm is IT, and the farmer is the king (which makes me QUEEN!)...and your whole life centers on calving time, planting time, haying time, spraying time, breeding time, harvest, etc etc etc. and I love it - I just wish more of my town friends would understand that going to town everyday for play dates or lunch or shopping is just not an option. I have to be here to help, to cook, and to do the 5-7 loads of laundry per day...and I think Christy Welch would totally understand.

Comments

Popular Posts